Delicious Elk Chili
Elk Chili is one of our go-to meals! It's so easy, can be made in the crockpot or served after cooking in a skillet. Use up that ground meat and serve a delicious meal that will pack a protein punch.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (Divided)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and saute 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour onions and garlic into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat and add the elk. Cook stirring occasionally until meat has browned.
Pour browned elk into slow cooker.
Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, coriander and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
Stir in dark and light red kidney beans and allow to heat through, about 2 minutes.
Serve warm with desired toppings.